Thursday, January 22, 2009

Why I'm A Teacher

Today, I was reminded why I became a teacher. This is my fourth year teaching, and each year I have been blessed with one or two students who have really needed someone to believe in them, or just be there for them. Today, I was shown this years' challenge.

I have a student who, at 17, is now the man of the house. His mother doesn't work, doesn't speak English, thinks that at 45 she's too old to learn. He has an older sister with a baby who lives there; two younger brothers; and two roomates who is living there because they have no place to live. This young man has noone to encourage him. He feels hopeless and defeated. He mentioned how he needs someone to help encourage him - so now he has me.

I explained to him that when he feels like giving up to think about setting an example for his two younger brothers. They need to see that even in the face of adversity, anything can be accomplished when you keep your eye on the prize. I also let him know that because he's sooooo smart (gets 90%s on his science tests!), he has such great potential to go to college, and that there is money out there for him to go. He knows that if he does go to college, he can make a better life for his family and take care of his mother.

The Mexican culture is very much based on taking care of each other. They are not selfish people, and when someone in the family is in need everything is dropped and the problem is dealt with. They have an incredible sense of pride and responsibility; however, too many times I have seen students under 18 feel the burden of taking care of younger siblings and parents. It breaks my heart, and so I try to encourage them to take care of their own education in the context of taking care of their families.

And so, here I am, working part-time, not making any money at all, but I am here for him. Hopefully after our talk today, and he was so grateful to have someone to talk to about everything (he even mentioned that he trusts me and it's good to have that *sniff*), he will be able to re-focus his attention on finishing school, getting his diploma and moving on to college (he's in 11th grade).

So, when we get upset at the standardized tests, the canned cirriculum, and the bullshit that comes from the top down, we need to remember that our students are people too and they come with their issues and problems. Sometimes if we just open up our hearts a bit and let them feel safe, we can remember why we became teachers in the first place. I love my job - I love making a difference. And I love that years from now some of my students will remember me the way I remember those teachers in my educational past that made me who I am today.

3 comments:

  1. I love teachers, and always thank them when I come across them. Thank you!! No doubt you have made a difference in many peoples lives, and shaped their futures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so delighted to read this. Let the light of understanding glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly what our students need. Someone who cares about them. There is more to teaching than the curriculum. Our kids today need more personal involvement in our schools because they are not getting it at home. Sad but true!

    ReplyDelete